Monday, January 23, 2012

Easy Risotto - Artichoke, Caprese Salad, and Boursin Risotto

Hi readers! As Nichole said, we're back and better than ever.

Last week, the mood struck me for risotto. I love risotto, but the thought of making it has always intimidated me. While rooting through my fridge, I found a container of Lite Boursin cheese that was close to its expiration date. Perfect! I trolled the internet and found an easy recipe.

But risotto on its own can't make a meal. I was struck with the inspiration for caprese salad and artichokes as well. My caprese salad is simple: beefsteak tomatoes, buffalo mozarella, my home grown basil, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar.


For the artichokes, I steamed them for 30 minutes (I have a great steamer and the artichokes were small. Steaming is definitely a suggestive thing.) Then, I served them with fresh squeezed lemon juice.


The risotto recipe I found comes from Gayle's Bakery.com:

3 1/2 cups vegetable stock
1 1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons yellow onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice (I used brown rice)
1/2 teaspoon fennel seed (optional)
1/3 cup white wine
1/4 cup Boursin cheese (about half a package)
3 tablespoons snipped chives or chopped parsley (I left this step out because I didn't have it in the house. I'm sure it would be delicious :-))

In a small saucepan bring stock and water (if using) to just below a simmer.

Sauté onion in butter in a large saucepan until translucent.

Add rice and fennel seed if using. Stir to coat and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes over medium heat. Add wine and stir until evaporated.

Add 1/2 cup of broth and stir while cooking until the rice absorbs the liquid. Adjust heat as needed. Be consistent in stirring the rice, gently loosening it from the bottom of the pot.

Continue to add the liquid in 1/2 cup increments, letting rice absorb each addition before adding more liquid.

The risotto should be done in about 30 minutes. It should be tender but al dente. Test it at about 25 minutes and if it seems almost ready, start adding the liquid in 1/4 not 1/2 cup increments.

Remove from heat and stir in the Boursin cheese and chives.

No comments:

Post a Comment